Tuesday, 5 October 2010

Istanbul Toy Museum and Other Delights

While I'm remembering, it seems wise to post some photographs I took in the Istanbul Toy Museum. I seem to be developing a minor fixation with such places; if a city has one I will descend upon it. This one was an odyssey to reach, tucked away in Asian Istanbul's dense interior, but after bus, foot and taxi, we finally arrived, and had the place virtually to ourselves. It is chock full of the stuff I love, especially incredible German dolls houses and shops, wind up tin toys and dolls.



Istanbul is actually an incredible place for visual culture, and felt refreshingly different from other European capitals I've visited. Mosques are breathtakingly decorated in ceramic tiles or intricately painted... I enjoyed these Christian mosaics that still remain in Aya Sofia.

And there is the amazingly modestly presented Mosaic museum, housing this incredible Roman floor. Beyond its attractions though, the visual experience of the city itself is full of intrigue and charm ... You are left with the feeling that there was much you did not see, and that you must return someday. Pretty romantic, eh?



2 comments:

helicopter6 said...

You've inspired me to descend on toy museums on my travels!!

Lindsay Grime said...

i'm glad!